Sunday, October 27, 2013

Widdershins Walk

    This was inspired by my work with the writings of Robin Artisson, particularly The Witching Way of the Hollow Hill. There is a deep current that runs through all his work that inspires me to explore the shadows that go unnoticed; to make reversals of usual awareness. This brings me to a deep state of dreaming awake that allows me to clearly see in the space that hides between what is and what is possible, and betwixt what is hidden and what is simply subtle. Sublime when I can get there, undistracted by myself.


Twice around the willow wand

and once around again.

Widdershins, I walked,

when I went around the bend.



Across the stoney field,

and o'er the forest's edge.

Between the Wild and the Wood,

I rode the thorny hedge.



Into the blanket night

without stars, nor even moon.

I listened to the toad,

and the owl began to croon.



First, it was the crickets

that silence fell upon.

Then it was the wind,

and I wondered how far I'd gone.



Cavorting shadows crept

and fed upon my fear.

Whilst my mortal heart, it wept,

and I knew that she drew near.



That unseen pallid beauty,

whose footsteps no ears can hear.

But I felt her fiddling fingers

at the heart of my deepest fears.



The supple queen of elfhame;

sovereign of the dark.

That lady of the air

had woven, on a lark,

a spell on mortal man

who'd gone further than was wise.

She blessed him with a curse,

and opened up his eyes.



Now, when the moon is dark,

and when it is full, gleaming;

Mortal lands and mortal hands

seem nothing more than seemings.



To darkened fanes and verdure bowers,

transfixed in glamour's hand.

Wide eyed, I wander hours

into the shadowlands



Along the thorny hedge,

betwixt the wild and the wood;

I wake and wonder when I'll find

the master in the hood.

No comments:

Post a Comment